Thursday, May 26, 2011

Big Black Dog Syndrome- You have got to be kidding me

Ok I thought I was hearing things when I was watching the Dog Whisperer and Cesar Millan he said that many black dogs are not adopted because of the stigma placed on Black dogs.  I couldn't believe my ears so I went online and did some research.  OK what is wrong with the HUMAN ANIMAL.  There is a syndrome called the Big Black Dog Syndrome in which black dogs are not adopted due to the fact that people associate their color with evil.  I thought I was reading some simple ass shit...how ignorant are we humans???? I am so ashamed to be a Human being sometimes.  How the hell does a black dog or any color dog symbolize anything??? WOW so I went to Wikipedia and read about this syndrome.  "There's not a lot of that type of statistics on many aspects of sheltering," says Kim Intino, the director of animal sheltering issues for the Humane Society of the United States. "But I think that every person that has worked in a shelter can attest that in shelters animals with black coats can be somewhat harder to adopt out — or to even get noticed." So we have transferred our sick discrimination onto the animal kingdom now...WTF???



 Where do these beliefs stem from well In British folklore, such as stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sir Walter Scott, the black dog is a creepy, spectral figure that haunts cemeteries and is an omen of death. (Non-lit geeks who've never heard of those stories have at least seen "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," in which a big black dog called the Grim stalks Harry.) Another Englishman, Winston Churchill, battled serious bouts of depression which he called "the black dog." We have to be aware of all the knowledge or entertainment we are exposing ourselves to and understand the cultural biases and ideals are now being marketed to us and we as uninformed consumers are buying into these ideals even supporting them with our hard earned dollars.  I will not be brainwashed by their foolishness, my daughter just bought a beautiful black dog and I will do the same when I am ready for another dog.  Remember information is power!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment