Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Covers- "Do Me Baby" Prince or Melisa Morgan

I'm starting something new.  Ok you know how you feel when Monday morning comes and the alarm clock comes on and all you want to do is break the clock and pull up the covers.  You wish you could stay under the covers all day.  Well I thought about making Mondays cover day.  I will post an original song and the cover someone did of the same song.  Each week I will introduce different songs and also post the covers for them.  Some covers don't do justice for the original song but some are just as good, you decide that part.  This week I am doing Prince's "Do Me Baby" recorded in 1981 from his Controvery album. The song was written by Andre Cymone and perfomed by Prince.  In 1986 Melisa Morgan did a cover of "Do Me Baby" and she took it to #1 on the R&B charts that year.

Prince's 1981 original track of "Do Me Baby"



Here is Melisa's take on  "Do Me Baby"


It is surprising that BET did't invite Melisa to do this song during the 2010 BET Awards show tribute to Prince.  Melisa was the  only powerhouse vocalist to hit the top of the charts with a sultry version of Prince's naughty ballad 'Do Me Baby' in 1986. While I love both versions of this I think Melisa took the song to another level.  I like her version better.  Enjoy!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment