Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ashford & Simpson's Nick Ashford Dead

Ashford & Simpson's Nick Ashford Dead <- Click here to read the entire story. This is sad sad news. Nick Ashford the very talented duo behind Ashford and Simpson died of throat cancer. His wife Valerie Simpson and his kids were by his side. My deepest sympathy goes out to the family. This is a hell of a loss in the music world. Nick and Valerie met back in the 1960's and have been inseperable for all these years.  I wanted to include a few quoted from Nick himself about their union. 

Nick Ashford's Personal Quotes (Source) IMDB


[on his arrival in New York in 1964]: One of the guys in the park told me, he said, 'There's a place up in Harlem, where you can get something to eat at White Rock Baptist Church. I went up there and I got my things out of Port Authority. I put water on my jacket and on my suit, to get all the wrinkles out. They didn't know I was homeless when I was in the church, and I saw Valerie.


[on his long-running marriage to Valerie]: Our relationship is now I think more solid than ever. We have now so moved, I don't know, people like to think what we think, but when we fight, you can't leave the room, no matter what, you can't walk away!



[on how he met the future Valerie Simpson, who would later become his songwriter partner and wife]: It happened a lot of ways; most of the time, it's just spontaneous. She'll [Valerie] start to play, she'll take me over, my body, her spirit just gets in me, and I know what she's playing.





Street Corner is one of my favorite Ashford & Simpson song!


Another great hit from the superstar duo!

RIP Nick Ashford! You will be greatly greatly missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment